Tuesday, April 23, 2019

Day 13

Logroño to Navarrete - 12 kms

23 April

Another short day. Fairly straightforward route taking us out of Logroño past a lake where we saw small red squirrels running amongst the trees, then much of it was alongside a road. It's good to be back in a small town as it's easier for basic shopping etc. It's a cooler day today. Cool days make pleasant walking. I am using my best Spanish now: dónde esta el supermercado/una farmacia - where is the supermarket/a pharmacy. People are very tolerant and helpful.
The Church of Our Lady of the Assumption in Navarrete has the most ornate alter piece, heavy with gold, it dates from 1533.
Dinner tonight was a pilgrim meal in a bar not far from our accommodation. Light rain fell while we were having dinner but didn't come to anything.

Leaving our albergue in Logroño this morning.


Street art

An old water fountain for pilgrims in Logroño.


The 16th century church Iglesia Santiago Real, in Logroño. The top figure above the doorway is St James - Santiago Matamoros.


We left Logroño through the pilgrims gate.



The pathway out of Logroño


There are many small shrines along the way.


A poor photo but it's the only photo I managed to get of a squirrel as they move so quickly.


The walk took us past quite a big lake.





Crosses made by pilgrims, I added a small one.


Look Girls - the deer here are very strong as they can jump two kilometres!


Looking to Navarrete across an old vineyard.


The ruins of an ancient hospital which served pilgrims back in the 12th century


This man had just finished hoeing around his grape plants.


Walking into Navarrete.


I found Pappy this house, he could have it looking very tidy in no time. He should be very happy here as it's in the middle of Navarrete which is a lovely town. 


Church of Our Lady of the Assumption, Navarrete.

St James in the Navarrete church with his scallop shells. 

6 comments:

  1. Love the street art! I think I could have that pappy house, with a splash of paint and a few pot plants it would be lovely. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I agree with you about this Pappy house. It's in such a lovely small town and the houses that have been given lots of care and love are very beautiful.

      Delete
  2. Another great day in very interesting countryside. Love all the photos xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never know if my blog is interesting to anyone - it's my only journal and already I'm finding I have to look back at it to see where we were when 😁

      Delete
    2. I look forward to your blog every morning.

      Delete
  3. Such variety in your days. Yes I remember trying to capture pics of squirrels in the USA. They are certainly whisky frisky.

    ReplyDelete